Re: Coil design

In a message dated 8/20/00 9:47:45 AM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original poster: "Kamil Kompa" <czlonek-at-polbox-dot-com>
>
>  Hi !
>
>  I have 13kV 250mA transformer and I want to use it as a TC power supply.
>  The problem is that this transformer is really sensitive to overvoltage,
>  so I want to use large tank capacitor to store a lot of energy without
>  using resonant voltage rise effect. I think the best way to load this
>  cap
>  will be using DC power supply (I have HV diodes). Please look at my TC
>  design. Will it work properly , or schould I find another solution?
>  Perhaps any suggestions?

Kamil,

Your specs look good, but I don't see any benefit to running on
DC.  Instead you can use a sync rotary gap running at 100 or
120 bps depending on your AC line frequency, and use a large
(LTR) cap, which will limit the voltage build up on the cap and
transformer.

Cheers,
John Freau