Re: I give up!! I regret building my tesla coil!

Garry and other newbies....

> Original poster: "Garry F." <garryfre-at-pacbell-dot-net>
>
> I have built tesla coils when I was in high school, in college and
recently. My
> biggest problem was a continual burning out of the NST over and over
because I
> could never understand the hieroglyphics that were presented to me instead
of
> plain english as to how to build a choke to prevent feedback.

<snip>  ( Read the original post, to big to comment all.)

I'm sorry you feel this way... I just have to put my 2 cents in.... I think
alot of your post was right on. I've been doing this for a few years, not
long really and have had mixed success. Of the 3 coils I have built I have
not spent more than $200 on a single one. I really enjoy the hobby but it
CAN be expensive..... possibly very expensive. I think you were right in not
buying the compleated coil - to me the point of the hobby is more in
building the coil - what fun is it so sit and watch all that power without
the feeling that you actually created it. It takes a lot of time and effort
to obtain satisfactory results and I just don't think your cut out for it,
if you were you would not quit. I have no expensive tools.... All my coils
were built entirly by hand, the pipe cut with a hand saw, the wire wound by
hand (3 days of winding!)..... I never obtained a satisfactory primary - In
my opinion, like you say, the hardest part. For my next one I am borrowing a
friends band saw to build the primary form and a lathe to wind the
secondary. The point is for anyone starting out - it is hard..... There is a
lot of satisfaction to be had, but it can be expensive - if you arn't
prepared for it don't start, or at least seek lots of help building your
coil.

> Thanks for letting me blow off steam. I hope I got the sense to give up
and not
> continue trying this but I have the feeling that I will just keep on
trying to
> the injury of my wallet and my self respect!

I hope you will keep going. In my experience it is the failures that drive
us on, not the successes. If my first coil didn't suck I probably never
would have built me second... You may also want to try starting over if your
wallet can survive it, take what youve learned and start again from
scratch..
Anyway, enough sensless rambling....

Regards,
Troy Peterson [VE7SOK]