RE: I give up!! I regret building my tesla coil!

Hi Gary, All!

  Sorry about all the troubles you've had on this, and I know where you're
coming from.  My first 2 coils never broke out at all.  I got copious
amounts of purple fuzz and ozone (plus 2 neighbor complaints about noise and
TVI).  Blew a SW cap (big nasty mess), and had a small rolled cap literally
torch itself!  I have to agree with the list that you don't need a machine
shop to make a coil.  For me, a drill, hacksaw, and a circular saw have
worked just fine.  Sure, better tools make it easier, but it's not
impossible.  I'm sure almost all of the list has run TC's that looked worthy
of a "modern art garbage composition" award :)  i certianly have.  It's a
learning curve, and takes patience.  You'll make mistakes, and you'll
definately let the electricity (in the form of smoke) out of a few coils.
Hang in there.  Read the Pupman archives.  You don't have to spend a fortune
on a coil for it to come out good.  On a small coil, the most expensive
items for me were the NST's and MMC caps.  My limited advice...run saftey
gaps..use Terry's NST filters (cheap to build!)

http://users.better-dot-org/tfritz/NSTFilt.jpg

I hate to say it, but save pennies and get in on a bulk buy for an MMC.  For
NST's, they're simply the best (other than a commercial cap).  My original
$112 35nf-at-17kv cap is still goin strong.  Take care of it, and you can pound
on it for a long time.  You'll probably outgrow the tranny before blowing
the cap.

I hope you keep plugging away at this.  All of our coils sucked at some time
or another.  You'll get better so long as you are patient, read the
archives, and ask questions.  Keep tinkering, and above all, enjoy it!  TC's
simply rock.  Keep it safe, and hope ya keep tryin!
									Caio!
						  		         Shad