Re: MOT-PSU

Hi Herwig and all,
                   I have a cautionary note about attempting
to deduce a transformer's turns ratio:

On 21 Aug 00, at 7:24, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Herwig Roscher" <herwig.roscher-at-gmx.de>
>

> Jim Lux wrote to the list:
>
> > Step 1.. measure the turns ratio at no load by putting a known voltage in
> > and measuring the voltage out.  Often, you put 110VAC on the HV winding,
> > and measure the LV winding.
>
> Jim,
>
> I've performed this method and found a clear difference between the
> voltage ratio measured "forward" and the voltage ratio measured
> "backward". Shouldn't be, but exists.......

Be aware that the high voltage winding can exhibit resonances
(well both do actually) but the resonance/s in the secondary
can occur near the test frequency due to the large inductance
and self-capacitance in the secondary and if this winding is
loaded merely with a scope probe i.e a megohm and a few pF,
its Q can be quite high. Placing the generator or mains across
the high voltage winding and measuring across the low voltage
winding should yield the most accurate result.

Regards,
Malcolm