Re: avalon condition

on that fateful day 8/19/00 7:48 AM, Tesla list uttered:
[snippage]
> With the hissing leaks at the mains I'M NOT TOUCHING A 200PSI+ 8" GAS MAIN.
> I'm allergic to pain. When they fix it, THEN yes. But that could take weeks.
> I already have closed EVERY valve I could find. Water, Gas, God knows what.
>

> don't let the gas co. do it,
>
> The Gas Co (Consumers...yeah, same as the Electric monopoly in town)
> couldn't even FIND the mains. I had to show them the pit (which is their
> property) AND the meters.
> Next time, I'm moving the meters and they can find them on their own.

I assume you're joking, but just in case you're not...

 The utility usually owns the meters (both gas and electric), and they get
_really_ hot under the collar if you mess with them.  If I were you, I would
leave the meters alone.

[snippage]
> Alright. Most of the PIGS stay where they are (that's where I need them
> anyways). But let's say I want to move a few. Can a BobCat do it?

Maybe for small pigs.  My experience with Bobcats is that they are best for
small earth-moving projects, but they are fairly anemic.

> How?

With a crane or an oversized fork lift- I'm thinking of the size of forklift
that they use to load and unload cargo containers from rail flatbeds.

> If I tip it will it die?

 Tipping shouldn't hurt, unless the gaskets are shot, then it will leak oil-
bad news if it's a PCB transformer.  The tranny inside may only be braced
for slight shifting though, so don't overdo the tipping if you can help it.

> How much can they tip?

 It seems a safe assumption that the the big ones are not much different
from the small (5-15 kVA) pigs with which most of us are familiar.  All of
the pigs I've seen were filled nearly to the brim.

 They rely on convection currents to circulate the oil through the center of
the can, up, and down either along the outside of the skin or through the
cooling tubes.  More oil is better in this case, so they'll most likely be
nearly completely full except for the ones with a removable cap.

 Ergo, if the top leaks, any tipping at all will cause a spill.

 If there's no leak, you could probably tip can-type pigs 20 degrees or so.
Obviously, you do not want it to fall over!  Fortunately, most of the small
to medium sized pigs are a tranny sitting in the bottom of an oversized can-
the rest of the volume is used for cooling.  Large square transformer
enclosures (the kind with fans on the oil cooling fins) are more likely to
be completely full of transformer.

> What do I have to secure before lifting?

 The tranny itself is internally braced.  If the thing has lifting eyes or
ears, you'll want to use those (with a crane), rather than attempting to
lift it with a fork-lift, end-loader, or other kluge.

 If you know any experienced riggers, you could probably use a cable sling
over the forks of a really stout fork lift.  I don't think the average
pallet-moving fork lift is going to be up to the job except for the smaller
pigs.

> Some of the big ones have a drain valve, should I
> drain-move-refill?

 You might not even be able to move the largest ones without draining them.
Does anyone know whether big transformers are shipped full or shipped empty
and filled on-site? (I believe the former, but don't know for sure)

> I CAN safely handle the PCBs (we have Tyvex suits if we
> need them, with booties, gloves, and mask)

 Ah, but can you store it to EPA / OSHA regulations in the interim?  What
are the applicable regs?

> Good news, only 3 of the Gantries are electric. The rest we have to convert
> :) Right now it's pulling chain. And to move a 50ton crane, that is 60'
> long, across a 114' room you have to pull a LOT of chain. It takes 4 people
> about 20 mins if they're in a hurry.

 I bet with a little thought you could build a chain-puller in a box with
chain guides that hangs on the "manual" chain loop...

 - Gomez

this message was made possible by: Bill Lemieux, Gomez A.D.D.ams, Arkoff
Kapacitor, The Mad Scientists Club, The Denver Area Science Fiction
Association, The National Security Agency, The Defense Advanced Research
Projects Agency, the letter 'Q', and the number '7'.