Re: New Gap Idea

In a message dated 8/21/2000 10:45:39 AM Mountain Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>  Original poster: "Sam Beck" <Sam-at-peterbeck-dot-com>
>
>   Hey, how about this static gap design...picture a long threaded rod
>  of, say, some sort of plastic.  Now you start at the bottom with a bolt,
>  and add a brass washer of rather large diameter.  On top of that you add a
>  plastic(or mica maybe) washer of small diameter, and just repeat.  You
>  terminate with a bolt and attach to your tank circuit from the ends...
>  Feedback, anyone?
>
>   Sam Beck

I made one just like what you describe from a ceramic bolt(and nut), brass
washers and mica spacers.  I doubt it would work with very high power, but it
worked great for the little coil I made for my sister.  The coil was only a
50W powered unit, but it made only a sizzling sound from the gap.  I kept
adding washers/spacers until it wouldn't fire and then removed the last one
so it would have the highest possible tank voltage.
Mike