Re: 3000 turn secondary

Hi Marc,

On 22 Aug 00, at 11:32, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Metlicka Marc" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>
>
> thanks john, malcolm, all
> the reason i was asking is that i bought a 8" sona tube for a new
> secondary, i already have 7# of #28 mag wire. when i got the tube sealed
> up and ready i ran the numbers through wintesla, wow at 40" long i am
> looking at 3006 turns. i figured if there was some great loses involved
> in that many turns i would have to get different wire?
> the way it looks is that if i use 1/8" copper tubing spaced at .3" i'll
> have 27 turns to 150'
> of tube, with an inductance of .3936mh. primary cap to res. is .0387uf,
> my new cap is .052uf so it shows the tune at 23.7 turns and an
> inductance of .2942mh.
> with a topload of 32.53pf and 21kv-at-85ma as a psu, res. freq. -at- 40.80khz.

That sounds like a real nice primary. I'd be interested to see
the results if you did it this way. My personal instinct would
be to go for a spacewound secondary with half the turns but
instincts aren't science. Your proposed plan might work very
well. Yeah, suck it and see. We'll all learn something from
this.

Regards,
Malcolm