Re: Ok, what is an LTR cap.

Hi Garry,

That would be LARGER THAN RESONANT. Normally, the natural
resonance of the power xfmr determined by the current and voltage
rating of the xfmr output and the mains frequency dictates a certain
size of cap. for resonant charging -at- the mains frequency (60 hz in
the US, 50 hz in Europe). I'm having a little trouble putting my finger
on the exact formula at the moment, but other more knowledgable
members could rattle it right off for you. But, basically a 12 or 15 KV
30 mA NST -at- 60 hz will need approximately 10 nF of tank capaci-
tance to be resonant. However, NSTs are notorious for succumbing
to the HV kickback peaks caused by operating with a resonant sized
cap, so many coilers opt for a larger than resonant sized cap. which
in turn keeps the HV kickbacks to a more managable level by the in-
creased surge impedance. So instead of using a 10 nF cap with a 30
mA NST, they may use a 15 or 20 nF cap. Of course, there are limi-
tations to how far one can go with this as a 30 mA NST would not be
able to charge a grossly oversized cap properly within the 8 or 10 msec
duty cycle of 50 or 60 hz operation, so the output would  decrease at
this point.

I hope this explains it somewhat for you. I'm sure more knowledgable
list members will respond as well with better explanations, though.

Hang in There,
David R.