Re: 3000 turn secondary

Hi Bart, Marc,
              This is a gnarly one:

On 23 Aug 00, at 20:06, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson" <tesla123-at-pacbell-dot-net>
>
> Hi Marc,
>
> Tesla list wrote:
> >
> > Original poster: "Metlicka Marc" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>
> >
> > Tesla list wrote:
> > > Hi Marc,
> >
> > bart, malclm, john, all
> > after digging the spool out i found that it is a 9 pound spool. john f.
> > gave me a
> > suggestion of winding the 3k coil and maybe a 2.5k or 2k one for
> > comparison, and
> > your suggestion sounds good also. so i started winding the 3k coil tonight,
> > i'm
> > winding by hand with a rolling jig so it will take a while. after i get it
> > done, if
> > it works well, i will wind a 2k coil same dia. (which i finally put a tape
> > measure
> > to and found out it has a 8.75" outer dia.. hind sight 20/20 on me) for
> > comparison.
>

> I know exactly what your talking about with the "hind-sight". When I first
> built my 12" coil, it was 34" high. I later went to buy an add-on form and
> found ALL different sizes. They vary greatly! I used a tape measure to
get the
> right diameter (which I found to be 12.75").

<snip>
> I'm glad to hear you taking on this task. We should all discuss the
spacewound
> coil. There are several methods to spacewinding a coil. Personally, I
think you
> should spacewind the coil with the same number of turns keeping the
inductance
> as close as possible between coils. This will make the form a little taller,
> but... I don't know, what does anyone else think? I'll have to run some more
> numbers and look at the frequencies. I would like to see all the coils at the
> same resonant frequency. Sd should be the same between coils and proximity
> losses can then be quantified accurately.

If the secondary resonates at a different frequency it
necessitates some change in the primary, be it L or whatever.
Suddenly there are other variables changing. I agree Fsec
should remain the same. To spacewind with the same number of
turns, a smaller gauge of wire will be needed in addition to
what Marc already has. If on the other hand, Ns is reduced and
more top C is added to keep Fsec constant, top storage
suddenly changes. There are fish hooks in this exercise
everywhere. I've agonized over similar problems for months.
I once had two coils which were pretty much identical save for
the wire gauge. They were progressively stripped down as
several days of measurements took place. I should have fired
them up before reducing the from 5:1 to 0.5:1. A lost
opportunity.

Malcolm