strange observation

hello all,
while wrapping the 3000 turn secondary i noticed something strange going
on.
after wrapping about 6" of wire onto the coil form i stopped to give my
fingers and the motor a break, as i sat there i noticed the wire running
from the coil to the spool would jump occasionally. i've seen wire
running to an electric arc furnace jumping the same way with 20k amps
surging through it. i had roughly 625 wraps on the coil-at-1432' of wire,
on the spool there was still 17170'.
this jumping actually looked like a wave in a pool with a forward wave
and then a return wave, i watched it for about 15 minutes (had what
every one calls, my thinking face on. not a pretty face i've been told),
my girlfriend came in and watched it also.
my question is, could i actually been seeing some sort of resonance in
this wire? if so could it have taken the 6 seconds to traverse from one
end of the wire to the other?
if so, what was the driving force behind this movement?
this action may have been talked about before, i don't know? and i'm not
sure it means a thing, i just saw it and wondered,   marc