Re: Paper/Oil Capacitors

on that fateful day 8/23/00 8:03 PM, Tesla list uttered:

> Original poster: Parpp807-at-aol-dot-com
>
> In a message dated 8/23/00 8:16:48 PM Central Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> writes:
>
> <<  and vulcanized paper, >>
> I have a few scraps of the stuff. By "vulcanized" I assume you mean
> heat-treated under pressure?

When I worked in a shop that built motor controls and distribution
equipment, the stuff they called "fish paper" was pale blue and was treated
with zinc chloride, which apparently breaks down the cell walls of the
actual cellulose fibers resulting in non-fibrous cellulose material.  We
also had grey tubing made from a harder version stuff.  It was inordinately
tough but could be made to shatter with a big enough hammer blow- it was
like phenolic, but cheaper, and is apparently used as liners for power line
surge arrestor (spark gap) assemblies due to its excellent arc resistance
and the fact that it ablates cleanly when hit with an arc.  (the expanding
gasses from the vaporized material help to extinguish the arg)

- Gomez

We have enough youth.
How about a fountain of smart?