Re: Coil Self Resonant Freq/Signal generator Question

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Kennan C Herrick" <kcha1-at-juno-dot-com>
>
> The way I do it is with a signal generator, scope & counter:  Connect
> generator & counter together so the counter reads the generator's
> frequency.  From that node, drive the bottom of the coil via a low-value
> resistor e.g. 1K.

	That is a mighty high value!!!!!  100 ohms would be more appropriate
and would still spoil the Q of a typical coil.  When I'm trying to make
coil Q measurements here by the delta f / f method I use a value of 1
ohm.

 Connect the scope to the 1K:coil node.  Tune the
> generator for a max. on the scope and read the resonant frequency from
> the counter.  ...and note how it varies when you move around the coil!
>
> Ken Herrick
>
> On Thu, 24 Aug 2000 19:52:26 -0600 "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> writes:
> > Original poster: "Metlicka Marc" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>
> >
> > to all,
> > this post came at a great time for me, see i am getting a fluke
> > counter/tracer. i have been asking for information on reading the
> > frequency of various coils that i have and wanted to know if anyone
> > on
> > the list has a workup for function generator, scope, counter
> > technique's
> > that they could post? or maybe a site for same?
> > thank you,  marc edward metlicka.....mem

Ed