Re: help with a ss tc

Hi,

> I am planning to build a solid state TC using a tube type flyback
> and two 2N3055 transistors and a few resistors...I guess the circuit
> uses  feedback to automatically find the resonant freq. Of the flyback.

> Anyway I was wondering,does  the output of the flyback has to be rectified
> before connecting it to the tank circuit?

Well the flyback in itself works like a solid state coil, adding the tank
circuit gives you a bigger non-solid state TC again.
[Sorry for nitpicking... ;)]

But yes, if you connect the flyback to a standard spark gap TC, you need
to rectify the output (otherwise too high frequency for charging that
tank cap).

All newer TV flybacks seem to have an internal rectifier diode, so it
might pretty well be you don't need to bother with extra HV diodes, just
use the flyback as it is.

By the way, with your flyback circuit, your are running it as a solid
state TC as you said, and you could get some fluffy discharge from the end
of the HV wire. Not in the inch range, though, but nice anyway.

> And lastly,does the flyback's secondary need to be current limited?

No not necessary... :)

It is not much current what the flyback can deliver.

--
 Jan Florian Wagner
 http://www.hut.fi/~jwagner/tesla