RE: Ok, what is an LTR cap.

Hi Deano,

	The real key here is that in an NST the primary to secondary coupling is a
little loose so the secondary is sort of free to ring up.

	In a pig, with very tight coupling, this degree of freedom would have to
be the ballast.  So if you rang the secondary up into ultra high voltages,
the primary would follow via the turns ratio.

	It all sounds sort of nasty.  Personally "i" would try in on a computer
first ;-))

	Off hand, I would think you would divide the ballast inductance by the
turns ratio squared to get the transformed impedance value of the ballast
as it looks on the secondary side.  Then choose your capacitor to resonate
at 60Hz with that value.

At 220VAC and 10kW at 60 Hz, we could choose a ballast of Xl = 4.84 ohms or
12.84mH.  With a 14400 pig that transforms to 3uH.  To resonate at 60 Hz
the cap value is 2.34F.  An impossibly high cap value...

So it would appear that there is no chance of getting resonant or LTR
charging from a pig.  However, if I should have multiplied the square of
the turns ratio instead of dividing, I would get 127.5nF...  If I have made
that error (which the book on my lap says I didn't...) then the resonate
case would be easy...  Perhaps others could please double check my
reasoning and math here...

I would think such a resonant system would make one darn good bang!!

Cheers,

	Terry