From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Saturday, August 26, 2000 9:22 AM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: RE: Effective Resistance

Original poster: "boris petkovic" <petkovic7-at-yahoo-dot-com>

-

> I know that most coilers are interested in only long
> sparks but a few
> coilers are also interested in what makes those
> sparks do their thing and
> how can they be made to do better.

I'm one of them too:)

> To keep this short I will refer to only one of these
> parameters and that is
> the secondary terminal voltage (Vs). There are
> several ways to estimate this
> parameter but they all require knowing the overall
> efficiency which is an
> unknown. However, there is one method that does not
> require efficiency and
> that is the equation
>      Vs = Vp * Q
> where Vs is the secondary voltage, Vp is the peak
> primary voltage, and Q is
> the operating Q factor. The operating Q factor is
> only one of several TC Q
> factors. The Q factor is found by the equation
>       Q = Xl/Reff
> where Xl = 6.283 * Fres * L   and Reff is the
> effective resistance. But
> first of all the Reff must be cleary defined.
----

I agree.My mistake was I thought in my previous
post,by Q factor,you meant a classicaly defined
quality factor of a secondary circuit (like in radio
theory) .

On the other hand IMO ,in a real world,considering any
given secondary coil, "Q" in your equation Vs=Q*Vp
must be conected in a sort of way with overall
efficiency of TC system  as well.

Regards,
Boris