Re: Tesla coil applications

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "brian foley" <ka1bbg1-at-mcttelecom-dot-com>

> I'm gonna stick my 2 cents in here. 2 items commonly using tesla coils are
> the computer monitor and television. the flyback is a blocking oscillator
> that makes the 20kv for the picture tube. the flyback may also supply other
> voltages like 5kv for focus and even lower voltages for other circuits.

A flyback is not a Tesla coil. It's more like an induction coil, that
initially stores energy in a primary winding and then releases it to
the high-voltage secondary winding through a single pulse when the
primary current is interrupted.
Capacitor discharge Tesla coils are seen in serious use today only in
some high-energy pulse generators for research.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz