Re: Inductive Kick LTR Pig Systems

terry, bart, all

snipped, i hope

> If the system were at unitity power factor, there would be no mechanism for
> current limiting.  The current going into the system is still the same with
> PFC caps, we just use them to bend the AC vector back around to reduce the
> upstream current.

i also thought that the use of the Pfc. was to force the current to lead the
voltage at the same amount the inductor caused the voltage to lead the current?

> I would be surprised if this has not been known.  But stranger things have
> happened in this hobby ;-)  The heating Marc saw on his caps is strange...

maybe the heating that occurred was due to an almost 20 percent range in
capacitance that the old caps had? i have at this time no way to measure high
value caps and was just hoping i was on. then too the same thing might have
applied when the one cap went up in smoke (i actually didn't notice it until
someone grabbed my fire extinguisher and yelled) this put the value off again.
as these caps are across the line i'm not sure exactly how much current is
flowing
in and out of them? or if not having the exact capacitance will stress them to
internal heating? what really surprised me was the value needed to Pfc. the
step
down trans., if i wouldn't have run the trans. through wintesla just for
kicks i
would never have placed Pfc. on the that trans. but it did make a big
difference.
i'm really going to have to get a web page up so i can get some pictures on
line
of all this?
marc