Re: will this be a problem?

At 12:33 AM 28/08/00 -0600, you wrote:
>Original poster: "Pholp Smiff" <kawanze-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>

>i was winding my primary coil with .25" copper tubing and ran out (it was a
>50 foot roll) and so i bought another 25 foot roll and started where the
>other ended. I connected the two ends with aluminum tape (aka muffler repair
>tape) will this be a problem? will if affect inductance or burn up when the
>higher current goes through it?
>
>thanks

Hello Pholp,

Splicing the two copper pipes with aluminum tape creates two problems.
One, being disimilar metals, there is the corrosion possibility, but
more importantly, two, there is very high circulating currents in the
primary which means you need good, solid connections.

Find yourself a piece of solid copper wire that is a snug fit inside
the copper tubing.  Cut a piece about an inch or so long and use it
as a splice to join the two ends of the tubing.  Shine up the tubing
and the wire with sandpaper, apply some solder flux, and then sweat
solder the connection.  If you take the time to file the ends of the
tubing nice and square, you'll have an almost invisible splice.

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL

Listening: 147.030+ and 442.075+
E-mail:    weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca
           or ve3ear-at-rac.ca