Re: Output

Length/Voltage relationships are VERY unreliable in highly nonuniform
fields, which is the TC case. This is a significant problem in EHV and UHV
system design (over 750 kV), because you can't just use some nice guideline
like 1" per kV for equipment clearances.  For typical electric utility
equipment (with corona rings, etc.) the required clearance distance for 2
MV impulses is much much more than twice the distance for 1 MV. I don't
have the reference in front of me, but I'll look it up tomorrow and post
it.

I'd be mighty surprised if any atmospheric air insulated device
(particularly built 100 years ago) got much above 5 MV.  The Les Renardiers
group got something like 7 MV on an air insulated impulse generator
(Lyonel, can you comment?) and the Soviets also claimed something like 5.5
MV on their Siberian impulse generator.  Steinmetz's gear at the World's
Fair was claimed at +/- 5MV on a dual stack apparatus, as was the Round
Hill Van de Graaff.  These were all very carefully designed systems with
very large radii of curvature (10's of feet), and carefully controlled
fields, none of which applies to any TC that I have seen.

There is also significant question about whether Tesla actually got 100+ ft
discharges at Colorado Springs... Check the list archives for details