RE: Effective Resistance

Hi John,

On 28 Aug 00, at 20:28, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
>

> Malcolm -
>
> You pointed out the problem by using your example. There is more than one
> type of Q factor with Tesla coils. If you use the wrong Q factor you get 2.7
> MV of voltage. You must use the operating Q factor to get the correct
> voltage. You will find this Q by using the correct Reff resistance. The
> problem is to find the correct Reff resistance (ESR?). How do you do that?
> Refer to my post "Q Factor and Overall Efficiency". What are your comments?

My comments are: unloaded Q does not substantially change
between driving my coil with low or high energy. I've sent
another post to the list on this.
      Let me explain why you equation doesn't work: You are
putting a limited shot of energy into the coil per bang and
the capacitances it has to charge can only allow the voltage
to go so high. Even were the Q to be infinite, you could not
do better. Q being less than infinite simply indicates that
even this ideal will not be reached. I've explained time and
time again how to calculate ESR using two different methods.
It is in the archives. I will not bore the list further.

Regards,
Malcolm