Re: my first coil...the use of thin wire

In a message dated 8/28/00 8:48:05 PM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> and that 26awg might be a little bit thin. Do you know what a good sec.
>  size is for 26 ? If not thats alright, but just curious. One more thing. I
>  know what saftey gaps are, basically protecting the xfrmr for power surges
>  coming back through the circuit, but are they just like spark gaps set at
>  certain distane according to the voltage+current being used?
>
>  thanks once again......
>
>          ---eric gendron---

Eric,

In my work, I've found that a thinner secondary wire is actually
better up to a point.  I use 28 awg wire and get 42" sparks from
a 12/30 NST.  I use what I call the six keys of efficiency, which
resulted from a number of tests and comparisons, and utilizing
the latest TC theories.  Generally you can get about 10% longer
sparks using thin wire, and the sparks will be stonger, and more
energetic and lively.  I like to use about 1600 turns on the
secondary.  Some of these methods are very new, and
you may not see them at other webpages.  Mine is at:

  http://hometown.aol-dot-com/futuret/page3.html

Click on Spark Gap Tesla coils.

Cheers,
John Freau