Re: winding the primary?

i had a problem with my primary and it wasn't staying down, so i just used
more force: i went down to home depot (just about any hardware store will
have these) and bought a package of coax staples, designed for pinning down
coax cable to most surfaces (ideally wood), and it just so happens that they
are 1/4" in diameter (the clip part). My copper tubing fit nicely into the
little u shaped grooves and snapped into place. I made a coil with 16 turns
of copper refrig tubing and these worked nicely. the only problem i has was
when i bent the tubing too far, but it worked out pretty well.

As for the variacs... i got mine of ebay for about 30 dollars, but i guess
no one talks about that much because they're too scared to use it. You may
be able to get one from an auto shop? or surplus or hosfelt for relatively
cheap. Hope this was helpful.