Re: Sync gap test

Original poster: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com

In a message dated 12/3/00 10:53:43 AM Pacific Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

<< Ed,

 Thanks for the feedback. With your input power I can see why it would be
 difficult to detect any electrode heating. In my case I was running a 5kVA
 pig, so my stainless steel, (gasp!),  acorn nut electrodes got warm pretty
 quickly. It was easy to determine the temperature difference, (which I had
 plenty of).

 Sorry to hear about your flaming secondary, isn't this hobby great?

 FWIW: In tests with my SRSG at 120bps I found that the closer I gapped the
 electrodes the better the coil performance was. (I'm using 0.018" now). I
 also found that two gaps gave better performance than four gaps.

 Jon

Jon,

I built this new sync rotary for use with my 6.0" dia coil which I power with
a 5kva transformer.  It currently utilizes an async rotary with 8 rotating
electrodes made from stainless steel acorn nuts - must be very similar to
yours.  They do get real hot and must be replaced periodically.

Ed Sonderman