Re: MOT charging mysteries (was: Re: The RAT coil)

Original poster: "Bert Hickman" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Marco and all,

While there may be some microwave transformers that do not require
additional external ballasting, these appear to be quite rare (at least
in the USA). The reason why your particular MOT's do not appear to
require ballasting is actually _considerably_ more interesting!

The MOT and voltage doubler circuit used in your system does not require
external ballasting since it uses 1 uF caps in series with the high
voltage MOT output legs (See http://www.saunalahti.fi/dncmrc/tank.html).
When the main gap fires, there's never a "true" short circuit placed
directly across your MOT's. In effect, your 1 uF caps are acting much
like a "capacitive" current ballast for your MOT supply, limiting the
short circuit current on the secondary side of the HV transformers!
While inductive ballasting is used on the primary side on most systems,
capacitive ballasting is certainly another viable option. Because of the
capacitive ballasting, it appears that you could actually use a pig with
this circuit WITHOUT the need for external inductive ballasting assuming
your diodes and caps were appropriately rated!

Assuming the output voltage of your MOT's was about 3 kV RMS, the short
circuit current (shorting ACOUT1 to ACOUT2) is current limited by
capacitive reactance to less than 1 amp, or less than 6 KVA (reactive).
This implies a 25A worst case "load" at the 220 volt 50 Hz input. And,
because the short appears only very briefly when your gap fires, the
average loading will be much less, explaining why you are easily able to
run off a 10A branch circuit.

Safe coilin' to you!

-- Bert --
--
Bert Hickman
Stoneridge Engineering

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Marco Denicolai" <Marco.Denicolai-at-tellabs.fi>
>
> Hi there!
>
> Finn wrote:
>
> >...the scope picture of the charging
> >waweforms show a odd flat portion which is unaccounted for, other than
> >that it is a MOT driven system. I am going to wind another porkchop to
> >see, if that changes the behaviour into something more readily
> >recognizable.
>
> I am not suggesting here an explanation for the strange charging waveform
Finn