Re: MOT charging mysteries (was: Re: The RAT coil)

Original poster: "Marco Denicolai" <Marco.Denicolai-at-tellabs.fi>

Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net> on 04.12.2000 15:20:07

Please respond to "Tesla-2 Mailing List" <tesla-2-at-emachine-dot-com>

cc:    (bcc: Marco Denicolai/MARTIS)
Subject:  Re: MOT charging mysteries (was: Re: The RAT coil)

>The particular MOT and voltage doubler circuit in your system does not
>need external ballasting since it uses 1 uF caps in series with the high
>voltage MOT output legs (see http://www.saunalahti.fi/dncmrc/tank.html).
>When the main gap fires, there's never a true short circuit placed
>directly across your MOT's. In effect, your 1 uF caps are acting much
>like a "capacitive" current ballast for your MOT supply, limiting the
>short circuit current! While inductive ballasting is used in most
>systems, capacitive ballasting is another option. In fact, a pig, if
>used with this circuit, would not require external inductive ballasting!

Hi Bert.
You are right. The 1 uF caps must work as a ballast. I didn't see that...

But so let's put it the other way: I haven't simulated it yet, but why not to
use the doubler
scheme instead of 4 MOTs? You get ballasting for free and the same voltage.

Surely the charging speed (i.e. voltage) will not be the same, but (at least
from Finn's
scope pictures) looks like the MOT current protection plays nasty tricks and he
is loosing
"bangs" anyway.

Regards