Re: New Capacitor (fwd)

Original poster: Tesla List Moderator <mod1-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 09:40:24 -0800
From: Jim Lux <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>
To: Tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: New Capacitor

you can probably figure out the type of capacitor by just comparing against the Maxwell catalog..  The high rep rate caps are significantly larger for the voltage/capacitance than the usual 1pps energy storage units.  An example of analyzing some data for Maxwell caps is at http://home.earthlink-dot-net/~jimlux/hv/caplife.htm, where I look at the difference in size between similar ly rated caps, except for life.

And, as Bert points out, Maxwell makes both polypropylene and mylar pulse caps.

I should also note that Maxwell makes (or made.. it's hard to tell these days http://www.ga-dot-com/energy/comp_syst/products/index.html is the new site.. flashy "mouseovers" but remarkably content light) large(>50 kg) energy storage capacitors using castor oil dielectric with a kraft paper spacing.  Castor oil has a high dielectric constant compared to mineral oil or polypropylene, roughly doubling the energy you can store in a given volume .  I don't recall the RMS ratings on these, but I'll bet it's low.  Peak current is high, though....