Re: MOT current limiting (fwd)

Original poster: Tesla List Moderator <mod1-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 17:03:53 EST
From: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: MOT current limiting (fwd)

In a message dated 12/5/00 4:57:24 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> I have five MOTs now (all US brands no fancy european stuff), and all of
>  them limit themselves just fine (relatively speaking). They will all draw
>  about 2-2.5 times their rated power when shorted and are damn near
>  indestructible, provided that you give them adequite cooling in an oil bath
>  (just like a small pig). The only thing you really need to do is multiply
>  their power capacity by three and buy a big enough breaker correspondingly.

Jason,

I too have used MOT's without extra current limiting.  I used (4) MOT's
in series, for 63" sparks.  This setup drew 6000 watts, so it wasn't
the most efficient system, but it worked.  I also tried it with extra
current limiting, and it then drew 4500 watts and still gave 63" sparks.
So as long as the power's available, I agree, I don't see any need
for current limiting.  I used an async rotary in that system.

John Freau