Re: HV cable and connectors (fwd)

Original poster: Tesla List Moderator <mod1-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 14:50:57 -0800
From: Jim Lux <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>
To: Tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: HV cable and connectors

I use RG-213 (RG-8) with the shield.  I also use GTO15 neon sign wire.  I have used RG-59 (cable tv coax) with solid dielectric for 12 kV NSTs, but not in a tesla coil application, nor with great success.. it's a bit too small.

For connectors, I use banana plugs on the end of a piece of nylon or delrin rod to plug into a recessed banana jack mounted on a PVC endcap on a piece of PVC pipe about 6" long.  You can use a standard PVC electrical conduit terminal adapter (bushing with slip joint for the pvc) on the panel end of the PVC to hold it in place.

The other connector I have had good luck with is a modified PL-259 (UHF) plug.  Drill out the phenolic insulator and replace it with a plastic rod with a banana plug at the end.  This is essentially a locking version of the above.