Re: RAT pictures online (fwd)

Original poster: Tesla List Moderator <mod1-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 06:28:24 +0100
From: Finn Hammer <f-hammer-at-post5.tele.dk>
To: Tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: RAT pictures online (fwd)

Tesla list wrote:
snip...

>   >>

> Finn,
>
> What a great looking project.  Lots of innovation there.
>
> How well instrumented is this coil?  I was thinking, we have talked about the
> idea of tuning the larger coils at low power and then moving the primary tap
> up a bit to compensate for a slightly lower frequency when run at high power
> due to a larger electron cloud around the toroid making the toroid in effect
> look larger.  Can you see this effect?  Can you see the resonant frequency of
> the secondary shift lower as the power is increased?  And then, of course,
> you have the ability to retune the primary when the coil is running - which
> would be a terrific thing to be able to do.
>
> Just thinking, which is sometimes dangerous.
>
> Ed Sonderman

ED, all

This effect is actually one of the things that I was looking forward to
doing: start high in frequency, get breakout, and then tune lower with
increasing power. However, the coils Q seems to be low. I can tune 1/2
turn each side without too big a difference.
Instrumentation is scope attached by fiber probes. Mostly voltage stuff
like capacitor voltage vs. mains voltage. I have current probes too, but
have not got them into the circuit yet. Oh, yes, have made plane wawe
antennas too, but these are not put into service yet either.
The power controller is as well instrumented as any, and can be seen
here:

http://home5.inet.tele.dk/f-hammer/tesla/ambassador/troller/troller.htm

Cheers, Finn Hammer