RE: Winding Primaries (fwd)

Original poster: Tesla List Moderator <mod1-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 09:21:48 -0600
From: Ted Rosenberg <Ted.Rosenberg-at-radioshack-dot-com>
To: 'Tesla list' <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: RE: Winding Primaries (fwd)

Simon:
While I do not have photos of my primary posted yet (I will very soon), I
drilled 3/8 diam holes in 8 strips of HDPE and shifted the strips to get the
spiral effect. It was for a 16 turn, 1/4" refridge tubing primary about 24"
diameter.

I began to thread the 60 or so feet starting from the inside and going out.
By the 6th turn, I was cursing loudly.
By the 10th turn I had two blisters from inching along the entire length
that was already in place to get it to move another 1/2 inch.
It was the most insidious part of the entire coil.
It took 4 (four) horrible hours.
BUT it looks great!
Would I do it again? I don't know. Thinking seriously of the method where
you lay the tubing into channels then attach a strip over and attach it with
nylon screws. Faster and no blisters.

Good luck

Ted
Subject: Winding Primaries (fwd)

<snip>

for my primary, I have made up some HDPE supports, and drilled them
appropriately. I was wondering if anyone has some advice for how to wind
the 1/4" piping through with a minimum of fuss [I tried it the other day,
got to about the 6th turn and had to unwind it...]

It is a 16 turn archimidian coil.

Thanks again, Simon