RE: Winding Primaries (fwd)

Original poster: Tesla List Moderator <mod1-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 12:54:48 -0600
From: Ted Rosenberg <Ted.Rosenberg-at-radioshack-dot-com>
To: 'Tesla list' <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: RE: Winding Primaries (fwd)

Simon:
I just uploaded a photo taken when I began my threading process. This photo
stage was before the cursing started <grin>.
Sundog, Gary et al, have a really valid point.

look at http://www.flash-dot-net/~ford29/tesla/primary.jpg

Regards

Ted
-----------------------------------
From: sundog <sundog-at-timeship-dot-net>

Hi Simon, All,

  I know some on the list will cringe, but I used zipties and 1/4"
polycarbonate for my primary.  A pic of it can be seen at

http://sundog.timeship-dot-net/images/big-primary.JPG

The primary is 1/4" tubing, and there's ~100' wound on it already.  I bought
a bag of 1000 zipties at home depot for ~$25, and the polycarb for I think
$17 a sheet.  It's attached to the table by nylon bolts.  Drilling PC isn't
bad, but tapping it is a pain.  All in all, the primary works beautiful. I
just started on the inside, and unwound the tubing into the grooves,
securing it with a single ziptie.  If I had to do it over again, I'd use
more supports, as my turns tend to "clump" on the outer turns due to lack of
support. Only problem I've had so far is the physical size of it. It's
huge!!  but!  It lets me run really high inductance secondaries and massive
toploads. I'll probably remove a turn or so from the inside to make more
clearance (had flashover problems). Looks great, runs great, and only took a
single night to build (about 5 hours.)
									Hope
it helps!

Shad