with ease. It drills/cuts just like butter. And it's strong enough to
support typical 1/4 or 3/8 refridgerator tubing.
Everyone has a different approach to end caps. I have used Plexiglas or
acrylic. Cement with a neutral epoxy like J.B. Weld. Never seal potentially
dangerous fumes inside the tube.
My next big coil will use wood ends. I will bake them to drive out all
moisture then immediately submerge them in polyurethane to seal them. It's
an experiment and I do not know how it will turn out.

#22 is popular. Much depends on the number of turns and the length of the
winding. John Freau suggests about 1600 turns with a diameter of wire to get
there for the winding length dictated by Wintesla. Check all using the
Wintesla program. This will give you the figures based on your NST (15/30)
and your tank cap.
Primary to secondary spacing should be about 1-1.5 inches. Too close and you
will get an arc from primary to secondary (Bad and it smeels worse) too far
and you reduce power transfer (coupling).

As for removing shunts...I have not. Others can hopefully guide you.
Too messy for me, my stove and my kitchen.

Safety First

Ted
============================

Subject: Coil questions

Original poster: "Corey May by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
<cbmay-at-home-dot-com>

Hello, I have just a few question I would like to ask you. Is plexy glass or
cutting board material a good substance to used as primary supports and to
as
and end cap on the secondary? What is the best wire guage to used with a
15kv,
120ma trany.....does 22 sound right? What is the best spacing to use between
the secondary and the Primary? And Finnaly what is the maximun shunt plates
you
can take out of an NST with out killing it or putting it under so much
stress
that it fries within an hour or so of non continous use?

Thakns so much for your help again

Corey