Re: Coil questions

Original poster: "Jim Lux by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

> Corey,
>
> Plexiglas is a pain in the neck to cut, sand, and
> shape.  It's too brittle--too prone to chipping and
> cracking.  Polyethylene cutting board material is
> fantastic from an electrical standpoint, and it's
> easier to work with.  However, it is impossible to
> glue as no known glue will stick to it.

Actually.. there are two techniques that I am familiar with for gluing to
polyethylene (I note that you can get labels that stick to PE, so it's
clearly not impossible, although I admit the labels don't have much force
tending to peel them off...)

1) electrical spark preparation.. the surface is zapped by a brushy
discharge, which puts lots of little tiny holes in the surface, to which
the adhesive can "interlock"... surely, anyone who has a TC (or the parts
for one) has the means to create brushy discharges.  I haven't actually
seen this done, but a little research would probably find details.

2) Chemical preparation.  Using a variety of hideously corrosive and toxic
substances (i.e. chromic acid,TCE), one can epoxy bond polyethylene
(http://home.earthlink-dot-net/~jimlux/hv/epoxprep.htm describes how.. )

For PE, though, thermal welding is the way to go.  get it hot (melting),
stick it together...

 I like PVC