Re: Blown Capacitor!!

Original poster: "Alex Crow by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <user-at-alexcrow.clara-dot-net>

Hi -

To all taking part in this thread, I believe it's possibly a myth that MMC's
are unsuitable for pig use. If you're using a bigger coil, several factors go
against the intuition that an MMC isn't "big enough" -

- a larger coil will probably have a higher surge impedance in the primary
circuit, certainly for frequencies off-resonance, reducing current.

- if you're going for LTR, you're going to have a bigger value cap, which
equates to more strings, and the current will still be divided over those. As
long as you don't exceed max dV/dT (and thus surge current), you'll be OK.

- resonant frequency will be lower, thus much reducing internal cap heating.

- you'll have to either buy bigger commercial caps anyway, or make a
pseudo-MMC from them, and if you blow one - ouch!

There were a few comments on this subject sometime last year - try searching
the archives.

Cheers,

Alex