Re: RSG Question

Hi David,

At 07:03 PM 12/13/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>I have a question regarding my ARSG for my big coil. I notice while
>watching the rotory electrodes appear nearly stationary, due to the
>strobing effect of the SG, that they appear to slightly change position
>gradually as I turn up the power. In other words, if the motor is turning
>CW and the rotory electrodes appear stationary at a constant input,
> when I turn up or down the voltage, I notice that the rotory electrodes
> appear to slightly move CCW when I raise the voltage, and back
>CW when I reduce the voltage. The apparent movement of them is only
>maybe 2 or 3 degrees of angle from min firing voltage to max voltage.
>Comments? I hope that I explained this where it could be understood.
>
>Keeping 'em Sparking in Memphis,
>David Rieben

All rotary gaps do this.  As you turn up the power, the voltage at the gap
increases and is able to jump a wider and wider gap.  Thus, at full
voltage, the gap will fire a few degrees sooner than at low voltage.  Gaps
do not fire when the electrodes are aligned but a few degrees earlier once
the voltage is able to jump the distance between the electrodes.

Cheers,

	Terry