The barter system rules!

Original poster: "Nathan Morris by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <themfam-at-home-dot-com>

Hello list
I am an electrician by trade and recently looked up an old co-worker/ friend
who is now the warehouse manager of one of the largest lighting and sign
companies in my area.  After checking on the price of a new 15kv 60ma NST ($170
US), he informed me that he had a few signs in the yard that were going to the
scrap pile.  He invited me to have my way with them.  Within a few hours I had
two used 12/30 NST's in my possession!  I cleaned them up and tested each
individually before paralleling them to make one heck of a 12/60 J ladder.
They look and perform great.  I ran them like this for an hour measuring the
current (ma) between  the secondarys as well as the total current draw with my
clamp-on amp probe (up to 6A).  They are capable of sourcing over 50 ma when
running a J ladder. I estimate that I will be able to get my hands on AT LEAST
4 more!  (There are 5 Burger Street signs with two 12/30's each) I am currently
planning a TC around one of these NST's (my original plan used a wimpy 7.5/20).
I have already made arrangements to collect a few more this week and would like
to make them available to the list.  I am new to coiling and greatly appreciate
the brother hood displayed on this page between coilers.  Thanks for all the
help! (too bad I'm a lost cause!)
I will be loosely basing my new design on the 12/30 coil found on John F's
page.  He has proven that these 12/30's are capable of capable of 42" streamers
(with the right set up) and I am really digging the insulated solid copper
primary concept!...
These are Franceformer brand NST's
Barter System Rules!
--Green Horn