RE: EMI filter hookup

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>

It looks like the RF voltage on your NST's case and primary exceeded the
breakdown voltage that the filter's case to terminal insulation was designed
to hold off.  Do you recall what you were using for an RF ground?  If the RF
ground or the connection to it were poor, that could explain how such a high
voltage could be developed.

Perhaps we need to add a good HV-rated common-mode choke between the NST and
EMI filter.

Regards, Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA

>Original poster: "Yurtle Turtle by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" ><yurtle_t-at-yahoo-dot-com>

>I blew up a 40 amp Corcom filter with a single 15/30
>which puts out 40ma. This filter is the size of a
>brick. I also had mine wired backwards, but used the
>house ground for the case and my variac. Mine was
>upstream of the variac. I opened mine, but still
>haven't depotted it to determine what went wrong.
>
>Mine can be seen at:
>http://www.geocities-dot-com/yurtle_t/tesla/filter.htm
>
>Adam

<snip>