Re: More Coupling...

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Paul and all,

I reviewed my notes on earlier measurements (taken on my 10" system at
its normal operating point) and have compared them with the results
predicted from ACMI. I had previously used an RLC bridge to measure
primary and secondary inductances, independently tuned both primary and
secondary for Fo, then measured the center points of the two sideband
humps versus Fo using a signal generator, scope, and digital frequency
counter. From these measurements, I then back-computed k.

ACMI input parameters were as follows:

primary {

   radius1 0.1778    ; Starting radius
   radius2 0.4318    ; Finishing radius

   height1 0.2667    ; Starting height
   height2 0.2667    ; Finishing height

   conductor 0.0048  ; 1mm radius
   turns 16   (Actually 15.625 at the tune point on my system)
}

secondary {

   radius1 0.131
   radius2 0.131

   height1 0.2413
   height2 1.0287

   conductor 0.0006858     ; 1mm radius wire
   turns 995

ACMI Results versus measured values:
===================================

                   ACMI:        Prev. Measured:          Error:
                   ====         ==============           ======
Pri Self Ind       168   uH     161.8 (-at- 15.625 Turns)      -
                                Est 170 uH at 16 Turns    -1.2%
Sec Self Ind        74.0 mH      73.5 uH                  +0.6%
Pri-Sec Mut Ind    708.8 uH     not directly measured       -
Coupling Coeff.    0.201         0.209                    -3.8%

The results appear to be within the estimated accuracy of my
measurements. Unfortunately, my RLC bridge "fried" since these were
taken - too much RF or EMP... :^(

ACMI's looking good at least for this comparison Paul!

-- Bert --
--
Bert Hickman
Stoneridge Engineering

Tesla list wrote:

<paul-at-abelian.demon.co.uk>

> Bart,
>
> Your new measurements have certainly altered the picture. I've plotted
> these along with acmi predictions on a graph,
>
>   http://www.abelian.demon.co.uk/tmp/bart-k1712.gif

<SNIP>