Re: First Light

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Hhchicken1-at-aol-dot-com>

*Terry - I thought the list might be interested in this as well, so I'm
posting back onto the list

Hi Aleks,
>Did the
>capacitors and diodes come from the microwaves you took the transformers out
>of? If so, were both miocrowaves of the same design?
The transformers, capacitors and diodes all came from 2 Toshiba DeltaWave
microwaves I think, which I got from the local scrapyard - they had about 30
different microwaves to choose from.  The components in the microwaves were
more or less identical despite the two microwaves having a different model
number.  All components had the same model number.  I think most Toshiba
microwaves use similar components, I took apart a different toshiba model and
the capacitor and diode were identical, and the transformer very similar but
slightly smaller.  I did try using that smaller transformer in my circuit,
and the power output was slightly less giving about half an inch shorter
sparks.
BTW, when running the circuit for extended periods of time (over a minute or
two) the MOTs, Voltage doubler capacitors and especially the diodes get quite
warm.  I don't intend to run it longer than 3 minutes anyway, so I should be
safe but I'll let you know if anything blows.  I have placed the capacitors
in a box as a shrapnel shield.
I'll put up a page with some photos as soon as I can get some scanned in :)

Henry