RE: Quick toriod question...

Original poster: "R.E.Burnett by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <R.E.Burnett-at-newcastle.ac.uk>

Hi Gary & all,

An interesting point,  about poor connections in the toroid.  Here's
something you might find interesting:

My Solid state coil produced no TVI at all with a spun toroid fitted.
However, when I replaced the spun toroid with a plastic one coated with
many layers of overlapping foil tape,  I got terrible TVI at first !

Running the coil in complete darkness revealed a line of arcing between
two overlapping pieces of Aluminum duct-tape,  and some local heating.
When I flattened out all of the foil tape to improve the contact,  all of
the TVI dissapeared again.

The arcing internal to the toroid did not impair the streamer length
noticeably,  but it obviously diverted some of the input power into UHF
radiation !

I can produce a similar effect by placing two metal objects near to the
running TC.  If they are very close, (like 0.010" or so) they will arc
and this produces a lot of snow on the TV.

_Unfortunately_  replacing the foil toroid on my classic TC did nothing
to ease the TVI which that beast produces.  Oh well it was worth a try :-(

							Cheers,

							-Richie Burnett,

> Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
<Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>

> This thread raises another question in my mind.  It appears that most
> home-made toroids use aluminum foil tape as the conductive surface.  But
> even though the individual strips overlap each other, the adhesive is not
> conductive, and an Ohm meter will indicate that they do not in most cases
> connect to each other.  Perhaps the thinking is that when we're looking at
> 100's of kV, a thin layer of goo is probably not going to put up much of a
> fight before breaking down.
>
> But even so, I've always wondered whether this resistance between each tape
> segment might have a significant effect on performance when a streamer wants
> to suck the energy in the toroid off in a hurry.  If each "plate" in the
> toroid-capacitor has a resistor and a spark gap connecting it to the disk
> terminal, that can't be good.
<snip>