Re: Quick toriod question...

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

<Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

> Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <
> Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>
>
> >This thread raises another question in my mind.   It appears that most
> >home-made toroids use aluminum foil tape as the conductive surface.  But
> >even though the individual strips overlap each other, the adhesive is not
> >conductive, and an Ohm meter will indicate that they do not in most cases
> >connect to each other.  Perhaps the thinking is that when we're looking at
> >100's of kV, a thin layer of goo is probably not going to put up much of a
> >fight before breaking down.
> .........................................<cut>
>
> >Back to my question - I'm wondering, am I the only person to worry about
> >connections between the tape strips?  How do others deal with this?
>
> >Gary Lau
> >Waltham, MA USA

	For the first small toroids I built I used metal plates for the top and
bottom supports; they contacted the tape all around and provided a good
direct connection to each piece.  When I went to wooden plates, covered
with Al tape, I could find no difference in performance.  As for the TVI
someone else mentioned, at least in my case that seems to be caused by
VHF radiation by the leads between the capacitor and the gap.  It's hard
to imagine that arcing across the tiny gaps between individual pieces of
tape could produce any radiation which could compare to that.

Ed