Re: Of Resistors, First Light, and SparkGaps

Hi Simon,

http://au.rs-c.dk/servlet/dk.stibo.module.ShowModuleServlet?moduleId=5124333

>Although they are heatsinked, they get pretty darn hot quite quickly [~1
>min] to the point where they are almost too hot to touch.. Is this ok? If
>you look at the picture, you can see that there is not much space between
>the connecter and the heatsink. This is causing some problems; if I tap my
>sparkgap at too many gaps, it just arcs from connector to heatsink on the
>resistor. [This is despite insulating taps [which I didn't expect to do
>much] and HDPE [which I though would] Any Ideas? I have got some silicon,
>do you think that would do the trick?

I would not recommend the metal encased types like this since arcing to the
case may be a problem.  However, just be sure that the cases are floating
and let that silicon flow freely :-))

Don't worry about the heat.  Those resistors normally run super hot.  I
think they are rated to 200C!!  The ceramic versions can hit 350C!  They
are just little space heaters...

Great luck on your first light!!

Cheers,

	Terry