Re: More Coupling...

Original poster: "Charles Hobson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <charles.a.hobson-at-btinternet-dot-com>

Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>

All -

There is another coupling test method that can be used to verify the test
mentioned below. The equation is

   K = sqrt(1-(Fo/Fs)^2)

   K = coupling factor
   Ko = Resonant frequency with secondary open
   Ks = Resonant frequency with secondary shorted

The advantage of this test is that the frequencies can be read very
accurately with the proper frequency counter. The test is shown in my Tesla
Coil Construction Guide.

John Couture

Hello John and all,

I agree with you John on measurement accuracy. I use a frequency counter
myself and consider it indispensable in tuning up the primary and secondary
Tesla coil circuits. Of course that is with the use of a signal generator
and oscilloscope also. I haven't tried your method yet shorting and opening
the secondary though.

I was a bit confused with your K = sqrt(1-(Fo/Fs)^2)

Should it be K = sqrt[1-(Fo/Fs)^2] ?

Also John, where can I get a look at your "Tesla Coil Construction Guide"?

Chuck Hobson