RE: AMRAD Spark Gaps

Original poster: "Oxandale, Terry by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Toxandale-at-SPP-dot-org>

I made one of these gaps many years ago (it's in an old TCBA issue with
a picture) back in the late '80's. With my 5" coil, I almost doubled the
length of discharge with this device replacing the normal stationary
spark gap. Unfortunately, they get hot very quickly, and with the
insulators I was using between the plates (rubber impregnated cardboard
used for gaskets in the oil circuit breakers used for distribution), I
would have to replace them about every hour of run time due to the high
temperature carbonizing of the gasket. My plates were simply brass discs
(2" dia X .040") that were pressed to resemble the shape of a dinner
plate (convex with flat edges). Then the two concave sides were place
face-to-face together as a unit, and then these units were stacked
together separated by the insulating gasket between each unit (about 6
gaps total I believe). I had to devise a frame that could use a large
fine thread bolt as a means to press all these units together tight
enough to keep them air tight. The whole thing wasn't any larger than a
Reubic's Cube, and was quite nice for a lower powered unit (500 to 1000
watts) with no spark light or noise. If one was to machine the brass
discs from large enough stock to have heat sink fins, as single piece
units with a high temp gasket material between these units, these would
be ideal SG for small coils.

Un-Terry