Re: What chance do we have?

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

> Hi Ralph, Jeremiah et al.
>
>       Even Tesla-ites can be thin on their history. It was George
> Westinghouse who hired Tesla after he left the "loving care" of Edison. It
> was Westinghouse who financed Tesla's work on the synchronous motor, It was
> Westinghouse who bought up Tesla's existing AC generator and motor patents
> for $1,000,000, thereby allowing Tesla his lifestyle and independent
> laboratory to work in. It was the Westinghouse Electric Co. that actually
> built the first 10 dynamos for the Niagara Hydroelectric System (as designed
> by Tesla) This was the world's first workable AC transmission and
> distribution system It was also Westinghouse who built the first AC power
> plants for the New York City subway and elevated line systems. It was Tesla's
> genius that lit up the Chicago World's Fair, but it was Westinghouse's
> equipment (and money) that built the hardware.
>
> Cheers,
> Matt D.

	Well put.  By the way, the last time I was at the Smithsonian their
exhibit on electric power had all sorts of stuff on Edison, plus among
other things, a name plate from one of the original Niagra Falls
alternator listing about a dozen patent numbers, ALL TESLA!!!  This in
an outfit which deigns to acknowledge he ever existed.

	Edison, to whom the electric power business was only one of many
subjects persued with reat vigor, got commercial power distribution
going in this country with his Pearl Street installation in Manhattan (a
totally impractical system WHICH WORKED), but it was Westinghouse, using
the Tesla patents as a base, originated our modern systems and made them
economically viable.  In this area Steinmetz's work at what became
General Electric was seminal.

	As to whether or not Westinghouse screwed Tesla, I think it's
impossible to say.  I have a very near relative whose handling of
matters financial reminds me a lot of what I have read of Tesla.  He has
grand ambitions but money slips through his hands like sand and he just
can't complete any of his grandiose projects!

Ed