Re: Interesting residual charge

Original poster: "davep by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <davep-at-quik-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Garry Freemyer by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Garry-at-NDFC-dot-com>

> Ok, here's a stab at it from an angle I haven't seen anyone stab at it from
> before ....

> Take an alternating current source of say a million volts with little
> current. The voltage as I understand it, raises to +1M volts, and then drops
> through zero to Negative 1M volts.

> So, the charge on the secondary and anything coupled to it, take on this
> alternating positive and negative charge.

> Since time the charge spends at zero, is very miniscule, it is likely that
> when the tesla coil is turned off, the secondary and your friend is also
> charged positively or negatively at some voltage at that point.

	Tend to agree.
	The 'spark' to the person is discontinous, despite apprearances.
	It conducts when it goes high enough, then _ceases_ conducting
	as the voltage falls.  Roughly at thger resonant rate of the
	primary/secondary system.  It will eave anything sparked to
	at an elevated voltage.  Over time, this charge will leak off.
	A plastic milk crate makes a dandy insulator...

	best
	dwp

> Now you've turned off the power, and your friend is still charged because he
> is standing on an insulator.

	From the _secondaries_ or from the _forms_?
	There has been extended discussion on charging of the
	coil forms (which may, indeed, discharge from the toiroid).

	cf electrophorus and 'electret'.

	best.

	dwp