[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
acmi error found = me
Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <tesla123-at-pacbell-dot-net>
Hi All, Paul, Terry,
Well, I have found the source of problems with coupling on my coil.
First, I found errors and fluctuations using the Beckman meter. One minute it
was .48v difference, the next time it was .24v, etc.. so it's useless. I went
back to sticking with the Fluke for both measurements.
I built a pvc sec and pri stand which allows heights above and below zero. In
removing the RSG cabinet (which the coil sat upon), I found a slight increase
in coupling. However, acmi error remained constant. It appeared the wooden base
(nails, casters, etc..) was causing some error, but it was not the main
contributer (RSG was not installed).
I measured all measurements again, taking into account where to measure from,
all the two gaps of missed turns on the secondary, etc... This time (your not
going to believe I did this) I counted the secondary turns - yes, 1, 2, 3, 701,
702, ... guess what, I was off by nearly 50. I have 957 turns.
The error was due to Secondary Inductance being calc'd too high due to an
"input" into acmi not being correct. Acmi kept telling me there was something
wrong (Acmi was right). I trusted the program enough to actually count
secondary turns and sure enough, it was off by "that much". Once acmi was fed
"good food", it predicted nearly what I measured.
Here is the data for this test: latest measurement to - these are final.
Now it's time to get onto some of those other coil configurations.
PS: One cannot always trust turns per inch calc's as the winding varies
throughout the coil and builds up over the full length (well, at least when
attempting to check accuracy of a program).