Re: Water Spark Gaps

Original poster: "davep by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <davep-at-quik-dot-com>

(old matter...)

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Alexander Rice" <ajjrice-at-yahoo-dot-com>

> Regarding the water -
>                             IF you do need to use deionised water then 'aqua
> pura' or any other mineral water will be about the worst thing you could use,
> they have alll sorts of dissolved ions,

	Just so.

> 'de-ionised' water is just a fancy way of saying distilled water.

	There is a difference.  Distilled water has been heated to
	steam, then recondensed, leaving behind the the contaminants.
	D-I water is obtained by running 'ordinary water' thru an ion
	exchange trap, which strips out the contaminant ions.  For
	some applications, it makes a difference.

> In water the only way to get electricity through it
> is through ion movement.

	Charge acrrier movement.  Ions provide more.

> Water is naturally a great insulator as the electrons
> are very strongly bound to the water molecules. I had heard abous some
> powerstation substations or transformers that used very very pure water to
> insulate them.

	Yep.  'bout 10 miles from here is the 'receive' station
	for the +/- 500KVDC link from Canada.  It powers (in part)
	this message.  HV engineering on a massive scale.  To insulate
	and cool the inverter stacks, they use a high tech,
	environmentally friendly, biologically friendly, 100% recylable
	fluid.

	One Guess....

	best
	dwp