Re: Water Spark Gaps

Original poster: "Jim Lux by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <jimlux-at-jpl.nasa.gov>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "davep by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
<davep-at-quik-dot-com>

> (old matter...)

> > Water is naturally a great insulator as the electrons
> > are very strongly bound to the water molecules. I had heard abous some
> > powerstation substations or transformers that used very very pure water to
> > insulate them.
>
>         Yep.  'bout 10 miles from here is the 'receive' station
>         for the +/- 500KVDC link from Canada.  It powers (in part)
>         this message.  HV engineering on a massive scale.  To insulate
>         and cool the inverter stacks, they use a high tech,
>         environmentally friendly, biologically friendly, 100% recylable
>         fluid.
>
>         One Guess....

Why Hydrogen Hydroxide, nature's friend... (or DiHydrogen Monoxide, as
referred to on the Ban DHMO web sites...)

Also used to water cool big transmitting tubes, for instance, although
that's only a few 10's of kV