John's phase control

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com>

I tried John's phase control set up with my 1/3 H.P. 3600 rpm sync gap last
night.  I increased the capacitance to 109 ufd and the fuse to a 10 amp.
When I first fire it up, the circuit draws 4.3 amps from the line.  The
current through the fuse (through the caps) is 4.7 amps.  The current through
the motor is 8.0 amps.  As I advance the phase control variac, the voltage
across the motor decreases as does all the current measurements.  It doesn't
provide much phase control as the voltage to the motor drops quickly.  It now
looses sync at 110 volts, without the caps this number is 100 volts.  It
appears that I need much more capacitance, maybe as much as 200 ufds?  From
looking at others test results, it seems when I finally have enough
capacitance in the circuit, the voltage across the motor will not decrease as
the phase control variac is advanced, and in fact will increase slightly.
Correct?  I have scrounged all the motor run caps I can find so further
testing will have to wait for more caps.

Ed Sonderman